Once you've got engaged, one of the first things you will need to do in your wedding planning is start looking for a venue. You will need to have an idea of guest numbers and your budget first, as well as a location, date and a potential style. Although your style may be inspired from the venue you choose, so this isn't crucial at this stage.
Once you start your venue hunt it is best to have a checklist ready, so that you can find the perfect fit for you. You will need to compromise in some areas, but as long as you know what areas to explore and what the options are, you've got a head start in your planning. Finding the right venue can be a laborious task. It is fun and exciting and is the start of your wedding planning journey, but it can also take the most time out of all the tasks you have ahead. So by arming yourself with knowledge and a good checklist of what to find out you are already ahead.
We have a compiled a list of questions that are helpful for you to find out or ask your wedding venue, when on your search for the perfect location:
30 Questions for your Venue:
1. What is your availability like around your ideal dates?
2. What is the venue capacity for a seated meal?
3. What is the capacity for an evening reception?
4. Is there a minimum spend- ie will you be charged for a minimum number of guests for the meal
5. What is the venue hire fee?
6. Do they have a civil ceremony licence?
7. Is there an outdoor ceremony option?
8. Is the hire exclusive?
9. Can you have exclusive use for the weekend or just the day?
10. Are there set packages?
11. Is there flexibility on choice of suppliers?
12. Are there different spaces to choose from?
13. Does the space need to be turned around- ie is the same space used for the ceremony, wedding breakfast and/or evening reception?
14. Do they have a late licence?
15. Can we supply our own alcohol?
16. Is there a corkage fee?
17. What time must the bar close?
18. What time must the music turn off by?
19. Is there a sound system provided? Is there an extra charge for this?
20. Are there any noise restrictions?
21. What time must guests leave by?
22. Who will be running things on the day?
23. Is there accommodation on site?
24. Is there a bridal suite to get ready in?
25. Can we set up the day before?
26. Is confetti allowed?
27. Do you provide the tables and chairs or must they be hired in?
28. Is there parking?
29. Are children welcome?
30. Is there disabled/baby changing facilities?
We hope you find this helpful and that it gives you an idea of the things you need to think about and consider when planning your wedding. If there is anything you think we should add to this, then do let us know.